Skilled Worker › Skilled Independent Visa (189)
The Skilled-Independent Visa (subclass 189) is a permanent residence visa for points-tested skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia. This visa does not require sponsorship by a relative or State/Territory Government.
You can either be in Australia or overseas when you apply for a Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa. In order to lodge from within Australia, you would need to hold a substantive visa or a Bridging A, B or C Visa. Once you apply from within Australia, you would receive a Bridging Visa allowing you to remain in Australia during the processing of your visa application.
To qualify for a Skilled-Independent 189 Visa, you would need to:
- Meet the pass mark in the skilled migration points test - currently 60;
- Nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list;
- Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply through Skill Select ›
- Be aged between 18 and 49 inclusive;
- Pass Skills Assessment in an occupation on the relevant Skilled Occupations List;
- Have ‘Competent English’ or higher; and…
- Meet health and character requirements.
How to Claim 5 Points from Partner’s Skill
In order to claim 5 points for partner skills, your partner provides evidence that he/she:
- Were under 50 years of age;
- Had at least competent English;
- Had nominated an occupation on the same skilled occupation list as your nominated occupation;
- Had been assessed by the relevant assessing authority as having suitable skills for the nominated occupation.
You will need to nominate your partner’s occupation from the same Skilled occupation list that you used for your nomination & assess your partner qualification from a relevant assessing authority. This means that if you have an occupation within the SOL, your partner also has to have an occupation within the SOL and not the CSOL.
Note: All applicants must ensure that they have no outstanding debts to the Australia government before this visa is granted to them.
Contact Mobile Migration Consultancy about Skilled-Independent Visas.